Tuesday, March 29, 2011

...d.w.t.s...


DWTS. Dancing With The Stars. Duh.


If you feel bad for not knowing what the acronym stood for...don’t. I just found out on Sunday night when I watched the encore performance of the season 12 premier. Of course I tuned in on Monday night to watch the second episode.


I’m a DWTS first-timer. Well, I guess second-timer seeing as I’ve watched two whole shows now.


Now that I no longer have access to an included cable package with our rent, I’m really starting to get into these abc and nbc shows. (Two words: Biggest Loser) Tim started his classes at Booth last night, leaving me with a three-hour window of free-time. I knew DWTS was scheduled, so really, did I have any other choice but to watch?


To all you naysayers who may think all I do is spend time watching TV, I want you to know that I also read an entire book yesterday. Yes. An ENTIRE book.


I need a job.


BACK TO THE MATTER AT HAND.


d w t s.


After viewing, I have a few observations; so here’s the rub...


There’s a lot of rubbing. I know that dancing is all about getting close to your partner, looking fluid and smooth, and these celebs and dancers are showcasing that to the maximum level. There’s some sparky physical chemistry there for sure.


There is a LOT of kissing happening. This is a bit confusing to me. Maybe it’s all a part of the “dance world,” but as a viewer I just have to say that it looks a bit awkward. I’ve seen multiple cheek kisses, kissing of the biceps muscle, fake make-outs, real make-outs...the judges have even gotten in on the action! Maybe they are just so relieved when their dances are done that they just can’t help but kiss? I’m still hunting down the root of this issue/desire.


The dancing is actually impressive! (in most cases) As someone who doesn’t necessarily have ballroom ease and talent, I am truly impressed by how fluid these dances look. Good work celebies! Of course, I haven’t ruled out the possibility that all the girls wear shiny, sequencey, and skimpy outfits to distract the viewer from the actual talent on the dance floor...


Speaking of the ladies, it’s hard to take your eyes off of them! I intentionally tried to watch the guys and the girls on the floor because some of the celebrities are men, and they are actually the people the viewer is supposed to be focused on during the dance. But I can’t focus on anything but the fanciness and flow of the ladies’ outfits. It could also be that I typically don’t go for a man dressed in a sequence tux, so I subconsciously ignore them. Sorry guys.


Am I hooked yet?


Not sure.


I guess they vote dancers off on Tuesday night? I’m not sure how the whole system works.


Any other dwts watchers out there?


If you prefer to watch in secret, I can respect that.

1 comment:

  1. (Hi! I'm new to the blog) I'm definitely a dwts fan, though I didn't get into it until last season and watching (and cheering, and voting for) Jennifer Grey was a big part of why I got into it. I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but my jury's still out as to whether it was a one time flirtation or a lifelong commitment...

    ReplyDelete