Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Personality Change...

I've grown up hearing the phrase "you are what you eat." I'm hoping that's not LITERALLY true as I've just consumed a bowl of tomato soup for lunch, and I could foresee some potential operational issues as living the rest of my life in the form of a liquid tomato. A recent survey by Mindset Media now suggests that we also are what we watch on television.

The survey piqued my interest because I am the recent recipient of FREE cable at our downtown apartment. It's been pretty awesome getting to watch various shows that I otherwise wouldn't have access to. (Shout-out to Sister Wives, a totally bizarre yet captivating show about a polygamist family.) But I've also noticed my reading habits going downhill....disappearing right into the ocean along with some of the crabs in Deadliest Catch. This is not a good thing. So what am I turning myself into by tuning into Glee, The Office, and the occasional Real Housewife?

According to the survey, Glee viewers are most likely to be open, experimental and creative. They also "believe that imagination and intellectual pursuits contribute to a good life." And finally, most likely experience emotions more intensely than others. Do I fit the Glee viewer stereotype?

Let's move on to The Office, shall we? Viewers of the office are most likely to have a superiority complex. Yes. According to the survey, "people who consider themselves superior to others are 47% more likely to watch the office." Yikes.

I'm hesitant to discuss the Real Housewives as it connotes the viewer to be "an aggresive, pugnacious, antagonistic, drama-queen type of person," with the key advertiser for the set as Botox. I sincerely hope that I am close to the opposite of the aforementioned described....?

So how seriously am I supposed to take these results? Am I still the same person for watching these shows, or am I as changed as the survey suggests? I feel relatively confident that I maintain my individuality, even if I do get sucked into the drama of the housewives every once in awhile. Either that or I'm an open, experimental, extremely emotional drama queen with a pugnacious and antagonistic attitude, topped with a superiority complex and desire for botox. You decide.




No comments:

Post a Comment