Saturday, October 02, 2010

Sarah/Jane Project

Some time ago I stumbled on an estate sale where everything was extremely overpriced. Estate sales are such an enigma to me. They are either amazingly cheap or ridiculously expensive. This particular sale was definitely the latter. However, my thriftiness and thorough searching skills lent me to a fabulous find!! In the kitchen, under piles of old pots and pans, I discovered "The Jane Christopher Recipe File - A Collection of Tested Favorites from Families, Friends, and Neighbors, and Famous Chefs."


A quick glance through the contents told me that is was definitely worth the price-tag. Fifty cents cheaper, I walked out of that estate sale feeling pretty saucy (and that's NOT on account of about 50 sauce recipes included in the box).


I knew this was quite the find, but I wasn't quite sure how I should go about harnessing the power that I now possessed in the Jane Christopher Recipe File. As Tim and I were perusing the contents over our first meal in our new apartment, I was struck with an idea I can only attribute to my creative genius (And probably a smidgeon of credit goes to my predecessor Julie Powell, creator of the Julie/Julia Project. I can only hope they make a movie about meeeee!!)

Tim and I are embarking on the Sarah/Jane Project. The project is as follows. Each week, we will blindly and randomly choose a recipe from the file box, with a promise to make whatever treasure the card holds for us. When that specific meal is served, we will then choose another meal for the next week.

The Julie/Julia style was to cook through the entire Julia Child Cookbook in a year. I make no such promise to get through this file in a year, or even ten years. First of all, consider the finances necessary to make a new recipe daily; especially considering some of the meats Jane and I will be dealing with. Example: Braunschweiger. Yes, I had to look it up too. (Did I mention this file box was copywritten in 1955? Because that's pretty vital information for you to understand what the heck kind of meals we'll be cooking. ) Also, the leftover situation would be pure insanity! And finally, Tim and I want to freedom to take off at a moments notice to do something spontaneous, without having Jane Christopher hold us back!

Our first recipe was picked by Tim. Hamburger Bean Ring! Are you excited yet? Because WE WERE!! In my opinion, there's nothing more appetizing than a ring of meat!! Actually, I was really just excited to put my new casserole pan to use.

My recipe card: note 1955 copyright in lower left corner.


Alas. I failed to take a picture of the initial meat ring, but you can just see it peaking out at the top right corner of the picture.











The Bean Ring...Complete!


Happy and brave diners.

All in all, I would consider the initial installment of the Sarah/Jane project to be a roaring success. The food was genuinely enjoyed...and without cutting too many of Jane's corners, I tried to make the meal as healthy as a 50's dinner can be.

Next week..... "Hot Dogs and Beans...But Different!" (complements of one, Josh Davis).

No comments:

Post a Comment